The Android app market is growing at an exponential rate globally. The global Android app development market size is expected to reach $154.15 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 11.4% from 2023 to 2030. That’s why most businesses are investing in the best Android app development company to expand their brand and reach. While most people think that Android development is done with one programming language, the reality is different. Several prominent programming languages for Android app development are chosen by the developer based on the requirements. It’s important to know other types of programming languages and what they can offer to your business. This blog has provided a list of the top 7 best programming languages for Android app development in 2024.
Which Language to Choose for Android App Development?
Choosing the right programming language for developing Android apps largely depends on your project’s specific needs and your development team’s expertise. Kotlin stands out for its modern features, concise syntax, and official Google support, making it a preferred choice for many developers who are looking to enhance productivity and code reliability.
On the other hand, Dart, when used in conjunction with Flutter, offers cross-platform capabilities, efficient UI development, and a rapidly growing community, making it a strong contender for those who aim to create visually appealing and performant Android apps. Ultimately, your decision should be guided by factors such as your project goals, your team’s familiarity with the language, and your desired development speed and efficiency.
7 Best Languages for Android App Development in 2024
Kotlin is a newer language that was announced as an official language for Android development in 2017. It is designed to be more concise and expressive than Java, and it has several features that make it easier to write safe and performant code. Imagine a programming language that’s like Java’s cool younger sibling, that’s Kotlin. It’s a modern, multi-talented language that’s making waves in the tech world. Kotlin is like a Swiss army knife for programmers. It can handle a variety of tasks, from building Android apps to creating server-side applications and even dabbling in data science. It’s like a one-stop shop for coding adventures.
Key Features of Kotlin
- Kotlin’s concise syntax helps developers to write less code, making codebases more manageable and readable. This advantage is due to the reduction of boilerplate code.
- It seamlessly integrates with Java, allowing developers to leverage existing Java libraries and frameworks, which is particularly convenient for teams with Java expertise.
- Kotlin’s type system distinguishes between nullable and non-nullable types, which is a significant improvement over Java’s type system. This feature reduces the risk of NullPointerExceptions (NPEs) significantly, which enhances code reliability and helps developers avoid common programming errors.
Advantages of Kotlin for Android App Development
- The conciseness and current features of the language increase developer productivity by minimizing coding efforts and boosting code clarity.
- Kotlin’s simple, expressive syntax improves code readability, allowing teams to collaborate and maintain projects more easily.
- Google now officially supports Kotlin for Android development, solidifying its position as the recommended language and integrating it with Android best practices.
Why Developers Choose Kotlin Over Others
- Kotlin’s null safety and type system reduces errors and crashes, ensuring more stable and dependable Android applications.
- Developers appreciate Kotlin’s modern features and continuous evolution, aligning with current development trends and best practices.
Before the advent of mobile apps, Java was around, helping developers build innovative products. For more than 25 years, Java has been one of the most popular programming languages for developers, from enterprise to services side software, and now for mobile app development. Java was one of the first official programming languages of Android app development. Kotlin has taken over the role, but most programmers still prefer Java because of its many useful features and benefits.
Key Features of Java
- Java has served as the dominant language for developing Android apps for many years, resulting in a massive and advanced ecosystem of libraries, frameworks, and tools.
- Java’s “Write Once, Run Anywhere” idea allows developers to design code that can run on several platforms with minimum changes, making it adaptable.
- Because Java has a large and active developer community, there are numerous tools, tutorials, and solutions accessible.
Advantages of Java for Android App Development
- Java has long been the industry norm for Android development, with numerous legacy applications built in the language.
- Java provides strong performance for Android apps, making it a viable choice for resource-intensive applications.
- Because of Java’s stability and lengthy history in Android development, it has an established track record for developing robust and scalable apps.
Why Developers Choose Java for Android Development
- Many existing Android apps are written in Java, and developers often choose Java to maintain or enhance these applications.
- Java’s platform independence makes it suitable for cross-platform development, enabling code reuse across different environments.
Python is a versatile, high-level, and general-purpose programming language that is widely known for its clear syntax and readability. Although Python is not the primary language for native Android app development, it can be used to create Android apps through cross-platform frameworks like Kivy and BeeWare. These frameworks allow developers to write Python code that is compiled into Android applications, providing access to native Android APIs as well as UI components.
Key Features of Python
- Python is well-known for its readability and simplicity, making it an excellent choice for both beginner and experienced developers. The precise and simple syntax expedites development.
- Python is a powerful programming language that can be used for a variety of activities, such as web development, data analysis, and more. This adaptability is extended to Android app development with frameworks like Kivy and BeeWare.
- Python supports cross-platform development, allowing developers to build code that is compatible with Android, iOS, and other platforms, decreasing development time and effort.
Advantages of Python for Android App Development
- Python’s simple syntax and easy-to-learn nature allow developers to rapidly prototype and iterate their Android apps, making it a popular choice for startups and small development teams.
- Python has a large and vibrant development community. This means that developers may readily locate information, libraries, and solutions to common Android app development difficulties.
- Python has specific frameworks for Android app development, such as Kivy and BeeWare, making it easier to construct cross-platform apps using a Python codebase.
Why Developers Choose Python Over Others
- Python’s straightforward syntax makes it accessible for newcomers and allows for rapid app development and testing.
- Python’s cross-platform capabilities save time and resources, as developers can write code once and deploy it across multiple platforms, including Android, iOS, and desktop.
- Its high-level programming language, coupled with its vast collection of libraries, allows for quicker application development, making it a popular choice for startups and projects with tight timelines.
Dart, a general-purpose programming language developed by Google, is an excellent choice for Android app development. It offers unique features that cater to the evolving demands of mobile app development. Dart stands as a powerful and versatile language for Android app development, particularly for cross-platform development and crafting high-performance, native-looking user interfaces.
Key Features of Dart
- Dart is a versatile programming language that offers both rapid development (JIT) and optimized performance (AOT) in Flutter, making it suitable for both development and production needs.
- Dart and Flutter provide a unique feature called Hot Reload, which allows developers to instantly see the impact of code changes in the app, thereby enhancing the development and debugging process.
- It is a statically typed language that provides robustness while still allowing for optional typing, resulting in greater flexibility and faster development.
Advantages of Dart for Android App Development
- Dart’s association with Flutter allows developers to write code once and use it to create apps on Android and iOS platforms, saving time and reducing development costs.
- Flutter’s efficient rendering engine powered by Dart delivers high-performance, visually engaging, and smooth user interfaces, which is a critical factor in the success of Android apps.
- Both Dart and Flutter communities are active and growing, providing developers with a wealth of libraries and resources to support their Android app projects.
Why Developers Choose Dart Over Others
- Dart’s Hot Reload, cross-platform capabilities, and simplified UI development in Flutter boost developer productivity and reduce time-to-market.
- The ability to create high-quality, customizable UIs in Flutter using Dart is a major draw, ensuring Android apps look and perform exceptionally well.
In the world of Android app development, C++ stands as the seasoned veteran, a language with deep roots and immense power. It’s like a high-performance engine that can turbocharge your apps and push the boundaries of what’s possible. C++ is mostly used in NDK to add components with Native code in app development. C++ is primarily used for performance-critical tasks and accessing low-level system resources. It is particularly useful for developing computationally intensive applications, such as games, graphics-heavy apps, and real-time applications.
Although C++ is helpful at many levels, it’s still hard for new developers. C++ demands a deeper understanding of programming concepts and careful attention to detail.
C++ is a go-to language for developers working on Android projects with legacy codebases written in C++ or requiring power and high performance, particularly for tasks such as game development and applications with real-time requirements. The language’s strength, robustness, and battle-tested nature are also attractive to developers who aim to create stable and scalable Android apps.
C# is an object-oriented programming language that belongs to the .NET ecosystem. Though not the primary language used for Android app development, we can use C# to build native Android apps by utilizing cross-platform frameworks such as Xamarin and MAUI. These frameworks allow developers to write C# code that can be compiled into native Android applications, giving them access to the Android SDK and native APIs.
C# is highly regarded for its exceptional performance, which makes it ideal for developing resource-intensive applications. Also, it benefits from a robust and active community, which provides developers with a wealth of resources and expertise. Many Android developers prefer C# when working on legacy applications because it enables compatibility with existing codebases. C# is highly versatile in terms of cross-platform development, facilitating code reuse across different environments. This makes C# an excellent choice for developing modern Android applications.
Conclusion: Best Language for Android App Development in 2024
While many Android programming languages are used by developers, Kotlin is the front runner among them. It is the best language for Android app development concise and expressive code reduces development time and enhances readability. Null-safety features prevent null pointer exceptions for reliable applications.
Kotlin provides seamless integration with the existing Java libraries and frameworks, which enables developers to make the most of their existing knowledge and experience with Java. This interoperability ensures a smooth transition for Java developers and enables them to utilize the vast ecosystem of Java tools and resources. With this in mind, 60% of developers worldwide choose Kotlin as their favorite programming language for Android app development.
Why Choose Vrinsoft for Android App Development?
Vrinsoft is an excellent choice for Android app development due to its unwavering commitment to delivering high-quality, innovative, and user-friendly Android applications. When you hire dedicated android app developers from Vrinsoft, you tap into a wealth of experience and expertise. Vrinsoft’s team of skilled developers is well-versed in the latest Android technologies, ensuring that your app is not only up-to-date but also capable of leveraging the full potential of the Android platform. Their developers are dedicated to crafting customized solutions tailored to your specific needs, resulting in apps that stand out in a competitive marketplace.
Moreover, Vrinsoft’s Android application development services are characterized by their streamlined development process, transparent communication, and on-time delivery. Whether you need an enterprise-level Android application or a consumer-facing mobile app, Vrinsoft has the skills and resources to bring your vision to life. Their commitment to quality assurance and post-launch support ensures that your app continues to perform flawlessly even after it’s in the hands of users. With Vrinsoft, you can expect a partnership that prioritizes your success and the delivery of Android apps that exceed your expectations.
Which programming language is best for Android apps?
Kotlin is the new official programming language for Android app development, but some Android app development companies still use Java as its reliable and robust security. Here is the list of some of the most popular programming languages in 2024 based on the latest statistics.
|Programming Language ||Percentage of Global Usage |
|Kotlin ||60% |
|Java ||34% |
|C++ ||3% |
|C# ||1% |
|Python ||1% |
|Dart ||0.5% |
How do I choose a programming language for an app?
First, learn about your requirements, what you want to add to your app, what functions and features you need, and your target audience. Based on this, you can choose any programming language for Android app development. Development companies mostly consult with the client, asking for their requirements and other details. Based on this information, they offer their suggestions with benefits.
Which is better for Android app development, Java or Kotlin?
Most developers choose Kotlin over Java due to various new features and Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile (KMM). However, Java is still in use and easy to learn while also offering the best support with its large developer community. Here is a table for Java vs Kotlin, which can help you choose a programming language.
Features Comparison: Java and Kotlin
|Feature ||Java||Kotlin |
|First released ||1995||2011|
|Official Android language ||Yes (until 2019) ||Yes (until 2019) |
|Learning curve ||Steeper ||Easier |
|Verbosity||More verbose ||More concise |
|Safety ||More prone to errors ||Safer due to null safety |
|Performance||Generally slower ||Generally faster |
|Community size ||Larger||Smaller but growing |
|Google support ||Legacy support ||Actively supported |